What to Know Before Buying an Engagement Ring
You’ve found the love of your life, and want to spend the rest of your life with her. The next, natural step is to find the perfect ring for your perfect woman. But where do you begin? You won’t want to go wrong in making this decision – so these tips should help you know what to look for when buying an engagement ring for your special lady.
1. Her style and tastes: You have to choose a ring that suits your partner’s personality, style and personal taste. Pay close attention to the type of jewelry and clothing that she prefers to wear and listen for any cues on styles that she might mention in passing.
2. Research financing options: You can’t place a price on taste and good quality and I’m sure you want the Moon and the stars when buying an engagement ring for your lady love. Having either a budget in mind or financing options available to you will help you be comfortable with choosing the best engagement ring.
3. The Four ‘C’s: The style is not the only thing that goes into consideration when buying an engagement ring. Any jeweller worth their weight in gold will tell you the importance of the four ‘C’s’.
- Carat Weight: A carat is a unit of measurement to gauge a diamond’s weight. The size of the diamond could be a major or minor factor when buying an engagement ring depending on the tastes of your partner.
- Cut: The cut of the diamond refers to the symmetry, polish, and proportion of the cut. The diamonds are cut to show off their brilliance, fire, and scintillation, all of which work to make the stones reflect light, color, and really make them sparkle.
- Color: Diamonds are graded on a color scale from colorless to light yellow. The color rating determines how much yellow is in the stone.
- Clarity: A diamond’s clarity is determined by how many imperfections naturally exist in the stone. Diamonds that have more blemishes will be less brilliant because the path the light follows through the stone will be intercepted.
4. Figure out her ring size: You’ve found the perfect ring, but nothing could ruin the magical moment when you pop the question more if the ring doesn’t fit on her finger! Sneak a ring from her jewelry drawer to get the correct measurements.
5. Which precious metal: You need something precious to support that sparkly diamond – so the next point you have to consider when buying an engagement ring is whether to have it set in platinum, silver, white gold, rose gold or yellow gold. Each vary in look, lustre and price point.
6. Insurance: Make sure that you get a certification of authenticity and check into getting diamond insurance to keep her ring safe in the long run.
One more thing, don’t be afraid to get a customized engagement ring! Custom doesn’t necessarily mean that it is expensive. It just means that you have more freedom to arrange and choose the metals and stones that will make up the ring. Check out Philadelphia Diamond Company’s design process for customizing jewelry!
Now that you know what to do when buying an engagement ring, don’t hesitate to reach out to a trusted jeweler who can guide you through the whole process. They are experts who will know exactly what you’re looking for, and will work with you to find a ring that is both affordable and beautiful.
Philadelphia Diamond Company is a renowned custom jewelry studio that is known for unique bridal jewelry designs, quality certified diamonds, and knowledgeable Graduate Gemologists. Book an appointment today to consult with them on creating the most beautiful engagement ring for your loved one.